[Gllug] Production system - Linux 2.4.24, LVM and cciss

Rickey Costas rickey at lefteris.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 14:35:19 UTC 2004

Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 14:18, Rickey Costas wrote:

> I have a great range of versions of FreeBSD.  There's a non-zero chance
> that a package compiled on one set of libraries/binutils won't work
> where transferred to another.  As I'm maintaining close to 200 servers,
> I simply don't have the time to mess around guessing.

That sounds like a nightmare. Why have you got so many versions? I'd
have standardised on as small a set as possible, such as staying on a
RELENG-4. Indeed thats what I do at my daytime job, but with a
significantly smaller number of machines.

Wouldn't having a large number of versions be a nightmare whatever OS
you were using ?

Rickey.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk