[Gllug] Discussion: Is Enterprise Linux a lock-in

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Jan 20 12:28:17 UTC 2004

Richard Jones writes:

>> 1. RMS suggested that "all the companies that distribute GNU\Linux also
>> distribute non-free software, which is unethical. Some even develop
>> non-free software which is worse"
>
>Not true for Red Hat.  They have a fanatical devotion to freedom of
>software which in some ways is quite damaging to them.

That was my first instinct, too. But it's not actually true. Although
their core product is 100% free software, the Enterprise product ships
with a number of non-free packages on an extras CD, such as IBM's Java
Virtual Machine, and BEA's JRockit.

There are also other products like the Red Hat CMS system that include
non-free components, IIRC.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk