[Gllug] Discussion: Is Enterprise Linux a lock-in

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Tue Jan 20 10:04:32 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 09:04, Simon Morris wrote:
> Read a good trade-rag yesterday with an article about Enterprise Linux and
> I'd be interested to hear the lists comments.
>
> Some of the points raised in the article.
>
> 1. RMS suggested that "all the companies that distribute GNU\Linux also
> distribute non-free software, which is unethical. Some even develop
> non-free software which is worse"

If they thought it was unethical, they probably wouldn't do it. There is the
possibility that they disagree with RMS. He might even be wrong.

> 2. There was a suggestion in the article that the large recruitment of OSS
> developers by Linux vendors had drawbacks:
>
> "A drawback of direct commercial involvement [in Linux] is clear.
> Developers who are based within corporations are unlikely to support a
> project that is run by another competitor unless there is material benefit"

I don't do any work unless there is material benefit either (cash, enjoyment,
duty etc). In fact, no-one does.

> 3. The cost of deploying "Enterprise Linux" distributions (RH, SuSE) is too
> high. Bruce Perens quoted: "The very aspects that made Linux desirable are
> under attack by Linux vendors bent on increasing shareholder value"
> Organisations are paying more and more for Linux as distributors demand a
> per seat cost and a service lock-in that withdraws support if the customer
> alters the source code

If the cost is too high, switch. I used to buy retail sets of RedHat for
machines - I felt it worthwhile putting back into the system. Since the
servers I deploy tend to cost under £1000, I'm just not going to buy RHES, so
I'm going to move to Debian.

I bear RH no ill-will over dropping their low-end setups - they weren't making
much on them. The important thing is I can move to a different distribution
with relatively little difficulty. In the absence of lock-in they can set
their prices how they like, and I can freely decide whether to buy or not.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk