[Gllug] Discussion: Is Enterprise Linux a lock-in

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Jan 20 11:39:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:04:32AM +0000, Richard wrote:
> > "A drawback of direct commercial involvement [in Linux] is clear.
> > Developers who are based within corporations are unlikely to support a
> > project that is run by another competitor unless there is material benefit"
>
> I don't do any work unless there is material benefit either (cash, enjoyment,
> duty etc). In fact, no-one does.

Only if you redifine the phrase "material benefit" so vaguely that it
loses all meaning, which you are already at risk of doing if you stretch
it to include "enjoyment".  The whole point of using the qualification
"material" is to eliminate less worldly issues from the discussion.

I've worked in the Voluntary sector for years, so it isn't just a matter
of semantics for me.

--
Bruce

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.