[Gllug] BBC dropping Ogg trials

Sarah Ewen sarah at thaum.net
Mon Jan 19 14:20:01 UTC 2004

> now than those two. (Why did the bbc, a public service, drop their ogg
> stream experiment?)

Ooh ooh! I wondered about this.

I had the opportunity to ask Damion Yates about this at the BBC last
June - he has an rd.bbc.co.uk e-mail address and is in the internet
team that started the ogg trials. But they were just that....sadly.

(having warned him I might quote a bit of him)
Damion said:

"Yes, I'm in the Internet team that started the Ogg trial,
unfortunately we don't really have time.  And despite us asking people
for public support, most people just used that opportunity to slag
off Realmedia.  Unfortunately the non-technical management believe
that it's either Windows or Real.  If the public slag off Real it
means Windows.  Which can't be encoded and streamed from Unix systems
and so you end up with a Windows network.  And trust me there won't be
anybody doing Ogg if we've been forced to move to Windows.

"We're hoping with any spare encoders (after the tens of encoders for
live real encoding) that we'll be able to start up live Ogg streams
again.  But this will also mean there being a reliable serving
architecture, Real's Helix server might do the trick and we're
trialing that now.  So you might see Ogg over rtsp coming fairly soon,
we've got the radio stations agreeing they don't mind."

--

I guess there aren't enough resources to run it without the endorsement
of higher level management. Let the Beeb know how great Ogg is!

Sarah.