[Gllug] mp3 encoding from Real Player output

Stuart Children stuart at terminus.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 21:32:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 15:49, Pete Ryland wrote:
> I had a play on the weekend actually.  I've done all sorts of stuff like
> turn off the "PnP OS" option in the BIOS which means the BIOS does the PnP
> negotiation for IRQs and such.  So it's set to IRQ 9, and the kernel module
> notes this, but in the em8300setup, it refuses to load the microcode, and
> /proc/interrupts shows that there aren't any from irq number 9.  I'm led to
> believe that uploading the microcode should indeed signal an irq at some
> stage, so I'm at a loss to know what to do next.  Any ideas anyone?  I'll
> post logs and output when I get home tonight.

I've not had a problem telling BIOSes that Linux *is* a PnP OS for quite
a while. I see an IRQ assigned as soon as I load the module:

hex ~ $ cat /proc/interrupts
 11:     147695          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci, eth0, em8300

You should see messages in syslog as the card is probed. Also:

hex ~ # lspci
00:08.0 Multimedia controller: Sigma Designs, Inc. REALmagic Hollywood
Plus DVD Decoder (rev 02)

FWIW: kernel is 2.4.22-1.2135.nptl (Fedora, unmodified). DXR3 driver
version is 0.13.0.cvs.

As I mentioned in an earlier mail, I did have to play a bit to find the
correct module options for my particular card. If yours is a similar
model let me know and I'll email you my configuration.

HTH

--
Stuart
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk