[Gllug] mp3 encoding from Real Player output

Pete Ryland pdr at accucard.com
Tue Jan 6 10:25:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:32:03PM +0000, Stuart Children wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 15:49, Pete Ryland wrote:
> > I had a play on the weekend actually.  I've done all sorts of stuff like
> > turn off the "PnP OS" option in the BIOS which means the BIOS does the PnP
> > negotiation for IRQs and such.  So it's set to IRQ 9, and the kernel module
> > notes this, but in the em8300setup, it refuses to load the microcode, and
> > /proc/interrupts shows that there aren't any from irq number 9.  I'm led to
> > believe that uploading the microcode should indeed signal an irq at some
> > stage, so I'm at a loss to know what to do next.  Any ideas anyone?  I'll
> > post logs and output when I get home tonight.
>
> I've not had a problem telling BIOSes that Linux *is* a PnP OS for quite
> a while. I see an IRQ assigned as soon as I load the module:
>
> hex ~ $ cat /proc/interrupts
>  11:     147695          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci, eth0, em8300

Yep, I see this as well, but I've made sure it has it's own, just so I can
see if any are coming through.

> You should see messages in syslog as the card is probed. Also:
>
> hex ~ # lspci
> 00:08.0 Multimedia controller: Sigma Designs, Inc. REALmagic Hollywood
> Plus DVD Decoder (rev 02)

Looks familiar.. nay identical, but for the pci slot id.

> FWIW: kernel is 2.4.22-1.2135.nptl (Fedora, unmodified). DXR3 driver
> version is 0.13.0.cvs.
>
> As I mentioned in an earlier mail, I did have to play a bit to find the
> correct module options for my particular card.

I've been trying different options.  Did the options affect whether the
microcode upload works or not?

> If yours is a similar model let me know and I'll email you my
> configuration.

I looked at the board last night, and mine has a bt865 chip on it as well as
a CT7235 and CT7236, IIRC.  I think it's manufactured by Creative, but I'd
have to check.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk