[Gllug] mp3 encoding from Real Player output

Pete Ryland pdr at accucard.com
Mon Jan 5 15:49:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:23:45PM +0000, Stuart Children wrote:
> Pete Ryland wrote:
> >On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 09:44:02PM +0000, Stuart Children wrote:
> >
> >>I have a DXR3 and it works pretty well.
> >
> >I got one the other day for a few quid off ebay but I've yet to spend more
> >than a few minutes at home to try to get it working.
>
> Drivers are at http://dxr3.sourceforge.net/ in case you've not
> discovered them. Should be all you need. You may need to recompile your
> video player applications with support (though some binaries already
> have the necessary bits enabled). Both xine and mplayer work fine for me.

I had a play on the weekend actually.  I've done all sorts of stuff like
turn off the "PnP OS" option in the BIOS which means the BIOS does the PnP
negotiation for IRQs and such.  So it's set to IRQ 9, and the kernel module
notes this, but in the em8300setup, it refuses to load the microcode, and
/proc/interrupts shows that there aren't any from irq number 9.  I'm led to
believe that uploading the microcode should indeed signal an irq at some
stage, so I'm at a loss to know what to do next.  Any ideas anyone?  I'll
post logs and output when I get home tonight.

> Yeah, I use -framedrop normally, but neither fix the problem entirely.
> However, I am using OSS and Rev Simon Rumble points out that ALSA may do
> a better job (thanks Simon). I shall allocate some time to experimenting
> with it when I get around to trying out the 2.6 kernel (which itself may
> well help with these issues).

Indeed, friends that know about this stuff seem not to be able to speak
highly enough about ALSA.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk