[Gllug] First Debian install - a little help needed!

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Mon Jan 26 11:30:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:07:58AM +0000, FORSTER, David wrote:
> Hehe, I will.. I just haven't reached that chapter in the book yet :o)
>
> the odd thing is, I'm sure that when I installed Debian that I loaded the
> module for my sound chip. I do see something about the AC'97 in the kernel
> boot messages but it scrolls past too quickly to read it and when I look at
> var/log/messages I can't see it.. Will dmesg show me anything different?

:-)

to see what drivers you could try and load take a look at

#> cat /proc/pci

or if it is installed;

#> lspci -v

this will list the devices in your system directly what they say to the pci
bus. you can then try loading modules for them with 'modconf'

once with i tried for ages to get sound working with kde on my sparc ultra5 and
gave up, for some reason it only worked if i didnt use esound. :-)

good luck

you could always post your dmesg and /proc/pci output here,

Ian
--
Off to uni, bbl
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk