[Gllug] Recommend an ADSL modem?

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 12:57:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:03:18AM +0000, Doug wrote:
> > I expect for everything you ever want to do there is some retail NAT box
> > that will bugger it up :)
>
> No, it's an issue with the PPTP protocol.
>

> > However, IIRC the PPTP messages don't at any point contain the IP
> > address of the client system, which means connections can be initiated
> > from behind a NAT system.  Certainly it's working successfully here for
> > a number of people.
>
> Try having them all connect to the same server at the same time.  PPTP
> servers assign one control channel to each IP address that makes a
> connection.  This control channel is used to distinguish between
> different sessions launched by the same client and cannot cope with
> multiple NAT-ed clients.
>
> --
> Bruce
>
> I am now a little wary of bananas.

 My confusion about this is about where the problem is:

 1) adsl modem in bridge mode,

 2) adsl modem in bridge mode not being completely transparent

 3) PPTP being not up to be job, as you point, for many different reasons.

 I suppose all of them might count in different combinations.

 The users of my setup do connect to clients networks with pptp, sometimes
 it works sometimes it doesn't. Why specifcally is beyond me.

 Happily I did find the way of lifting all the blame from me.

 Is there any other "cheap & windows friendly" VPN implementation out
 there? Requirements are ability to work behind nat on both sides.

 I just shudder at the idea of plugging the windows machine straight on
 the adsl router. It works ok being isolated.

 Formi

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk