[Gllug] Which graphics card?

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Thu Jan 29 19:49:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 16:52, Tethys wrote:
> Richard Cohen writes:
>
> >Depending just how picky you are - it's only the newer ATI cards which
> >have been more closed.  I've got a Radeon 9000 Pro which works fine with
> >XFree86/DRI drivers, 2D and 3D...  Check the dri wiki for details of support
> >for particular models.
>
> Yes, I have. Everything up to the 9200 is supported. When they initially
> announced their drivers, ATI apparently claimed that they'd still release
> programming info to those wishing to write free drivers. However, that
> never seems to have happened, so we're stuck with binary only drivers :-(
>
> Tet

We've been buying radeon 9000 (pro?) and lately 9200 for a while at
work, and they seem to work fine - I run a 9000 on desktop at work and a
8500 at home using Debian Sarge and/or Sid using the dri-trunk packages
from dri.sourceforge.net.

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 If
[Radeon 9000] (rev 01)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R200 QL
[Radeon 8500 LE]

Performance great, have played FreeSpace2 and return to Castle
Wolfenstein fine. At work it's a bit wasted, but at least I can enjoy
microseconds of impressing everyone with skyrocket and my glxgears frame
rate <:

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk