[Gllug] Which graphics card?

adam at thebowery.co.uk adam at thebowery.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 21:28:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 04:52:16PM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Richard Cohen writes:
>
> >Depending just how picky you are - it's only the newer ATI cards which
> >have been more closed.  I've got a Radeon 9000 Pro which works fine with
> >XFree86/DRI drivers, 2D and 3D...  Check the dri wiki for details of support
> >for particular models.
>
> Yes, I have. Everything up to the 9200 is supported. When they initially
> announced their drivers, ATI apparently claimed that they'd still release
> programming info to those wishing to write free drivers. However, that
> never seems to have happened, so we're stuck with binary only drivers :-(

I hope that you have sent email to both ATI and Nvidia letting them know that
you are holding off purchasing their products for non-free driver problems?

I would also love to upgrade my gfx card which is currently a geforce 4 ti4200
but it seems I can only go backwards in the tech race to become totally
dependant on free software which sucks as I thought ATI were better than that
but of course found out the same as you when i looked into the issue :-/

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk