[Gllug] E-Mail

Xander Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 14:39:37 UTC 2004

Peter Childs wrote:

>	Why is EMail so difficult?
>
>	I'm trying to set up a fully fedged multi-user E-Mail system.
>None of the answers are easy.
>
>	I was think of using exim/cyrus as shared folders would be nice
>one day.
>
>	There are no good howto documents.
>
>	You would have thought somone would have written a nice simple
>E-Mail server by now but no.
>
>	I want it fully fuctional within 10 minites. any ideas?
>
>Peter Childs

In ten minutes then I would suggest grab rpms from
ftp://ftp.exim.org/pub/rpms-for-exim/ or if using Debian then Exim is
standard.

The exim.conf file is very well commented.

If using uw imap which is default on Red Hat then "chkconfig  imap on"
and "chkconfig pop3 on" will enable imap and pop3 mail for all users.

You might also want to have a look at dovecot imap server which is now
available in Fedora amongst other places.

There are a lot of places that document in great detail how to set up
very efficient spam filtering with exim: http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan-acl/

If you need any specific help then please do ask off list :-)

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk