Expressive programming language? Was: [Gllug] Speaker Suggestion

Xander Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 14:35:04 UTC 2004

Doug Winter wrote:

>On Thu 08 Jan Richard Jones wrote:
>

>>As in not just reference counting.  If you're reference counting,
>>you're suffering a time and space overhead on many common operations.
>>Java (for all its sins), ML, Lisp, Haskell, etc. include garbage
>>collectors which don't suffer such problems, and are consequently more
>>efficient - more efficient even than allocating everything by hand.
>>

>It seems efficiency is subjective in that case :)
>
>Theoretically optimal garbage collecting is hugely overrated.  I've had
>vast amounts of grief with Java's supposedly wonderful GC - it's got a
>whole range of algorithms, all of which suck at some workloads.

Not being a java programmer and hence this might be a very naive question.

Would it be possible to compile the java using gcj.  I have seen eclipse
compiled with gcj and it loads much faster and looks very nice indeed.

I know that some of the java portal servers are now compiling the java
using gcj before running the code and I have heard reports of these
running up to four times faster than standard.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk