[Gllug] Discussion: Is Enterprise Linux a lock-in

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Sun Jan 25 11:05:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 11:40:23AM +0000, Nix wrote:
> > I don't want to read too much into a post as short as yours, so I'll
> > just ask you what your opinion is of people who use and develop free
> > software but don't share RMS' position in full.
>
> They're welcome, as long as they don't expect me to follow them into
> freedom-doesn't-matter land. ;}

here here,

sometimes RMS' 'freedom' comes accross as everybody MUST give away every
computer program they ever made, should it really be to give the author the
rite to not share if they desire, and to protect the ideas and credit
of those who do.

if i write a program for a university assignment and submit my code i cannot
release my code until the deadline has passed. from what i can tell until
i release my code if i give this little program (binary) to others my program
is considered 'un-ethical' under the traditional RMS view,

but im sure if you put this case under his nose he would see at least the
some of the case for not everything being 100% open all the time.

i use and develop open source software and like it, RMS does one major job for
us, he gets us talking about it. without him it is not likley we would all give
that much of a rat's arse about if x is a free binary or has free code.

i am rambling, forgive my views

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk