Vim WAS Re: [Gllug] xmms - Bug 64069]

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Jan 29 18:17:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 03:17:10PM +0000, Harry wrote:
> get the job done. I have had to use Vi when I wanted Vim and its like
> typing with boxing gloves on

Not really: you just have to have a thorough knowledge of the commands
and exercise some care.

The other day I found myself using Vi in the circumstances for which it
was originally designed: a slow connection (to be precise, I was ssh-ing
in through a severely overstressed box).  I really appreciated the
economy and precision of Vi's commands on that occasion.  Being able to
type in those concise commands and knowing exactly what they were going
to do, when the system finally got round to it, made the experience much
more bearable.

--
Bruce

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.