[Gllug] Apple

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Tue Jan 13 09:21:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:51:42 +0000
Simon Faulkner <simon at titanic.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are encountering evermore Apples in our travels so I figure I will
> have to buy one and learn a bit more about it.
>
> Is OSX like Linux?

In much the same way that solaris and irix are like linux. As other posters
have already mentioned the underlying OS is Darwin, a version of BSD
engineered by apple.

If you have a single OSX box to look after they are fine. Integrating a larger
number into a pre-existing Unix environment is less fun. My own particular
gripes with OSX are its use of the horrible NetInfo database to handle
networking configuration rather than plaon text config files. And OSX's
implementation of NFS and automount really suck.

In its defense it does look very pretty, and it's not windows.

OSX is probably a fairly good compromise between unix power and stuff working
out of the box.

I have other problems with apple and their bizarre approach to software
development but I won't bore you with those this early in the morning.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk