[Gllug] Mobiles in toilets & other places

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 10:55:45 UTC 2004

On Mon 26 Jan, Richard Jones wrote:

> My old mobile ceased abruptly when I dropped it in a glass of wine,
> and no amount of hairdryer treatment has made it work again.

   It might be OK if washed in clean water afterwards and then left for a
very long time to dry. The copper tracks may dissolve if it is powered
before it is totally dry.
   It may not work, I was asked to look at a Sony broadcast camera, 15:1
zoom lens, viewfinder, recorder back, and battery pack that were fished out
of a lake after a helicopter crash. I could even see things swimming around
inside the lens. They would have liked to recover the recording as well, but
the whole lot was a total write-off.
   Coke is one of the worst things to spill on mechanical devices like panel
switches, especially when it is approximately 2 square metres of control
panel, with an audience of several million watching live.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk