[Gllug] Apple

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Jan 13 10:55:40 UTC 2004

Stephen Harker writes:

>> Probably, once you install an X server. I don't think there's yet a native
>> OO.o for OS X. But I'd recommend you look at Abiword and Gnumeric instead.
>> Both have (IMHO) better long term potential than OO.o.
>
>Why? Just curious :)

Because OO.o is a bloated pig. It's trying too hard to be MS Office,
and has gone too far down that road to be salvagable IMHO. If nothing
else, compare launch times. On my machine, with cold cache:

	abiword:   sub 1 second
	gnumeric:  2 seconds
	oowriter:  13 seconds
	oocalc:    13 seconds

Both abiword and gnumeric have come on leaps and bounds in recent months,
and the latest versions of each are great products. Don't be put off by
the halfway functional and buggy versions shipped with most distributions.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk