[Gllug] First Debian install - a little help needed!

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 16:31:41 UTC 2004

On Fri 23 Jan, FORSTER, David wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well, I've been tinkering with Mandrake for a couple of months but finally
> bit the bullet and bought myself a set of Debian 3.0(r2) discs.
>
> I installed it onto my laptop first and got a basic system, with X, up and
> running... I booted the first CD and not CD 5 and ended up with a different
> kernel to the bf2.4 but I can sort that out. I then installed onto my
> desktop machine and got everything installed OK, except that I can't get X
> running... I've tried all sorts of configurations and options through
> XFree86Config and dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 but to no avail. I have
> an nVidia GeForce4 MX440 card but at the moment I'm not interested in using
> the closed source nVidia drivers for OpenGL and all that, I just want an X
> server to run in 1024x768.
>
> I got a bit frustrated with it yesterday and ended up repartitioning my
> drive and doing a Knoppix install on another partition so that I at least
> had a working system to use, but I'd prefer to persevere with a proper
> Debian install. I'm going to give it another go over the weekend... Can
> anyone point me in the right direction of some useful documentation or HOWTO
> (I've got the XFree86 HOWTO from tldp) that might help me. Also, does anyone
> know if I can use the XF86Config-4 file from my Knoppix install on my Debian
> install?
>
> Thanks,
> David.

   I have found that the bf24 installation is much easier, but you need to
read the first screen and its function key references to find out about it,
that is before you press return for the first time. If you have a network or
internet connection available, ensure that it is in place before you start
so that the installer can collect security updates immediately.
   You should also update the kernel from the original bf24 ASAP because of
security problems. You can use one of the pre-compiled versions available
for your processor, some of them will ensure that the rest of your system is
updated at the same time, prompting you to add an extra line to the lilo
config.

   I see that Debian are hoping to declare Sarge as the stable version
within the next few weeks, together with a new improved installer.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk