[Gllug] First Debian install - a little help needed!

FORSTER, David david.forster at mfi.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 09:54:11 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Well, I've been tinkering with Mandrake for a couple of months but finally
bit the bullet and bought myself a set of Debian 3.0(r2) discs.

I installed it onto my laptop first and got a basic system, with X, up and
running... I booted the first CD and not CD 5 and ended up with a different
kernel to the bf2.4 but I can sort that out. I then installed onto my
desktop machine and got everything installed OK, except that I can't get X
running... I've tried all sorts of configurations and options through
XFree86Config and dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 but to no avail. I have
an nVidia GeForce4 MX440 card but at the moment I'm not interested in using
the closed source nVidia drivers for OpenGL and all that, I just want an X
server to run in 1024x768.

I got a bit frustrated with it yesterday and ended up repartitioning my
drive and doing a Knoppix install on another partition so that I at least
had a working system to use, but I'd prefer to persevere with a proper
Debian install. I'm going to give it another go over the weekend... Can
anyone point me in the right direction of some useful documentation or HOWTO
(I've got the XFree86 HOWTO from tldp) that might help me. Also, does anyone
know if I can use the XF86Config-4 file from my Knoppix install on my Debian
install?

Thanks,
David.