[Gllug] Production system - Linux 2.4.24, LVM and cciss

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Mon Jan 12 17:31:30 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:20:59 +0000
"Martin A. Brooks" <martin at clues.ltd.uk> wrote:

> At 17:10 12/01/2004 +0000, you wrote:
> >There may be a certain amount of talk at cross-purposes, here.  cfengine
> >is a host configuration tool, not a package-configuration management
> >tool.
>
> It _can_ do this though.  For example, on one network I help with, machine
> that are "introduced" to cfengine automatically get a few preset packages
> installed if they're not installed already.

True. But the compile-time configuration was done at an earlier stage by the
package management tool in use, be it RPM, apt or whatever. Unless your
talking about cfengine doing something like:

rpm -ivh somepackage.src.rpm
rpmbuild -ba somepackage.spec
rpm -ivh somepackage.i386.rpm

in which case the compile options go into your custom built spec file. I
assume .deb has a similar function.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk