[Gllug] Re: Home watching of my DVDs fxxx!ed :-)

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Mon Jan 19 12:21:06 UTC 2004

And verily, didst Tethys announce to the hordes:

> Andrew Halliwell writes:
>
> >Tell that to the morons who continue to use proprietory codecs when good,
> >open ones are available.
>
> Just out of interest, what do you recommend as a good open codec for video?
> Tarkin is still some way off, and my understanding is that while Theora
> is more advanced, it isn't yet ready for primetime. I believe the earlier
> MPEG video codecs are suitably unencumbered, but they're not realistically
> in the same place on the compression/quality curve as the newer codecs.

Well, some are less "locked down" than others even when they are
proprietory. MPEG4 (even the newer ones) is mplayer compatible, but things
like quicktime can be a right royal pain in the arse.

Why can't apple release these codecs? The whole point of a video codec from
my point of view is to be as viewable by anyone as possible to get the
widest audience.

The problem is, audio is just as bad (see my rant about real and wma) and in
the case of audio, they DO have no excuse, seeing as ogg is probably better
now than those two. (Why did the bbc, a public service, drop their ogg
stream experiment?)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk