[Gllug] Hardware problems [ot]

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 22:09:17 UTC 2004

gllug wrote:
> Jonathan Dye wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I thought someone on this list might be able to help me out.  I've got a
>> new MB which apparently supports 2100 and 2700 ram.  I have a DIMM with
>> 256MB DDR PC-266 written on it which I thought was 2100 but the
>> motherboard beeps on startup indicate a RAM problem.  This DIMM works
>> fine in my older MB so I'm wondering if I've got the wrong type after
>> all.  Can anyone clarify what all these numbers mean?
>>
>> JD
>
> Are you 100% sure its the RAM. Does the motherboard book say that
> certain combinations of beeps indicate ram problems. You normally expect
> a single beep to indicate that the Power On Self Test (POST) has passed.

The book says the beeps mean DRAM error.

> It could be any number of things. Have you tried re-seating all your
> cards. I normally strip the system and insert a minimal set of hardware
> then start adding any extra cards and hope for the POST beep.

Yeah, tried only putting graphics card, CPU and ram and no joy.  Bought
a new CPU and tried that too because I reallied that my CPU was just
below the supported slowest one!  The ram works fine in my other computer.

Maybe it's the motherboard but I bought it because my current one is
dodgy.  Nothing ever works!

JD

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk