[Gllug] CD Rom Writing

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 23:30:33 UTC 2004

On Thu 08 Jan, Peter Childs wrote:

>     Its not as simple as that if you happern to not be using ide for any
> of your hard disks... If you have ide loaded as a module this will not
> work. The cd-writing howto was of some use.... And eventually thats what
> worked ie telling the ide-cd module to ignore the cd as to why it did
> not work in the first place I don't know.....
>     Most people are not in this position but it does happern.
>
> Peter Childs

   The whole idea is to get the kernel to start ide-scsi for any CD/DVD
writer before the IDE system grabs it, so the kernel should be run with the
option set from the start. I have not used GRUB, but in LILO the append=
followed by the required option in quotation marks is important for this.
   I have found that IDE-ATAPI drives are tolerant to being fitted without
the master/slave links in place, or set as slave without a master, so that
it is not identified as HDA. Another alternative would be to connect it to
the "second" IDE cable, where it should appear as HDC or HDD.
   There may be a BIOS configuration setting for when the main bootable
drive is SCSI.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk