[Gllug] Help with Fetchmail

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Jul 30 10:33:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, wendy carr wrote:

> I guess andrew may be right.I use the "keep" for
> keeping the mail untill super user fetch them and then
> delete.Otherwise the fetchmail will fetch all the
> previous email again.

Do it the other way around. The superuser downloads are not the ones for
the actual recipient so have that be the one that doesn't delete the mail.
The way you are doing it allows for mail arriving after the main recipient
downloads their's but before superuser to be "lost".

In truth the answer is not to use the keep option only on one or the other
but to distribute the email locally immediately upon download. I think you
can configure fetchmail to deliver to multiple recipients.  If not you may
need to implement a local MTA.

I'd recommend using a consultant (/me puts up hand ;) ) for that.

> What would be the best MTA in your opinion ?

The answer to that lies with you - do you want experience of any of them?
An MTA should be selected not for ease of implementation but for it's ease
of ongoing maintainance.

If you don't have any particular experience I'd recommend either postfix
or exim. postfix is probably a little easier to configure however a simple
exim configuration (which is all you'd need from the sounds of it) should
be equally easy. It's only more involved exim configurations that are a
little more involved than postfix.

Others will probably disagree though.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £22.50 / month