[Gllug] EPOS systems

Jack Richards jack at gnu-solutions.com
Mon Jul 26 11:58:12 UTC 2004

For a low cost solution, try www.linux-pos.org as a jumping off point.

I can personally recomend Quentin Olsons excellent Mercator ( and free
Mercator ).  GNUPOS and Banana POS are also quite good, if a little limited.

Both require a fair amount of tweeking.

If you are looking at linux, I would suggest getting something that is JavaPOS
1.7 compliant since getting drivers for POS devices such as VfD, MSR, Scanner
cash drawer can be a pain otherwise.  Most POS devices are shared with the
keyboard or have a serial line MUX ( thats on e serial line muxed to 3 or 4
lines - arbitration done in userland through a kernel loopback driver -
horrid ! )

As for database, most Commercial POS apps use DB2, Oracle and
MySQL/POSTGRESSQL.  MySQL is a great choice and is very stable.  It also
scales well. We have customers with over 5Million SKU running MySQL and is
flys !

Have fun !

Jack

Quoting Liam Delahunty <liamvictor at gmail.com>:

> Chap upstairs wants to bar code all his stock and run a EPOS system.
>
> He's a mac user but would be more than happy to try linux solutions.
> At the moment he keeps finding firms selling windows products (which
> isn't a problem really), but the database tends to be Access which I
> don't think will be good enough long term, though I probably just
> biased.
>
> Anyone had to implement one and have any recommendations.
>
> He's losing the will to live, so there could be some consultancy work
> here for someone so inclined.
>
> He'll need the bar code reader / printer, and the stock control s/w.
> He wants to be able to produce sales lists and reorder amounts based
> on supplier codes and simplify the daily grind of reordering stock.
>
> Ideally it'd produce a file so that he could keep his website stock
> levels up to date too, but that isn't too important.
>
> Feel free to get in touch off list, and I'll pass your details on to him.
>
> --
> Kind regards, Liam Delahunty
> --

Jack Richards

GNU Solutions Ltd
Atlantic House
Imperial Way
Reading
Berks.
RG2 0TD

web   : www.gnu-solutions.com
email : jack at gnu-solutions.com
Office: +44 (0)870  250 9219
DDI   : +44 (0)1462 634 410
Mobile: +44 (0)7788 437 904
Fax   : +44 (0)871  277 1937

*

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR
ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS
PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please accept our apology.
We should be obliged if you would email them by return.

Thank you.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk