[Gllug] belated comment on XML

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Jul 6 18:02:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 06:58:03PM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> Having been forced to extract data from an XML shipping-manifest and
> thus figure out some of XML's complexities, I can't help feeling
> that the language suffers from being designed by committee.  What,
> on the surface seems an elegant concept, has so many extra complex
> rules thrown in, that it makes it on par with EDI to get to grips
> with.  My first reaction was to regard it is as computerised verbal
> diarrhoea - the actual content of a message often being somewhat
> less in size than the tags that surround it.  As for being able to
> simply 'write' XML - what about the special characters that have to
> be replaced by 'entities' ?

It sounds as if you were trying to parse the XML by hand.  There are
libraries for that sort of thing ...

Rich.

'There is a joke about American engineers and French engineers. The
American team brings a prototype to the French team. The French team's
response is: "Well, it works fine in practice; but how will it hold up
in theory?"'
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk