[Gllug] belated comment on XML

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Jul 7 02:16:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 06:58:03PM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> somewhat less in size than the tags that surround it.  As for being able to
> simply 'write' XML - what about the special characters that have to be replaced
> by 'entities' ?

Same objection applies to html, fwiw.

There are, in fact, only five pre-defined internal entities in XML: lt,
gt, amp, apos and quot.  That isn't a lot to remember and from
experience it isn't a huge burden on the typist.  A DTD may define
additional ones (and you can define your own within the document).

If you want to use any other characters that aren't part of the basic
character set then you'll have to use a character reference (&#NNN or
&#xHHH, where NNN is the decimal value of a Unicode character and HHH is
the hexadecimal).  Of course, you can define your own entities to
represent these characters, for your convenience.  Or you can import one
or more of the entity sets that have been compiled by W3C:
http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.