[Gllug] How to uninstall?

Mark Hill mrhill at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 17:34:13 UTC 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:12:30 +0100, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:

> It is
> possible to identify which files were installed, and remove them
> manually. The way to do this is to install again, in a separate
> directory, and then examine the installed files, and remove the "real"
> ones.

Another way of doing this would be to create a rpm/deb/tgz package
from the same sources, install that package and then remove the
package. A tool like checkinstall can quickly create a package for
this purpose. (To use the program, essentially you have to type
'checkinstall' instead of 'make install'.)  Still, I prefer Rich's
way. :)

> (3) Remember what files were installed, and remove them by hand.
> (Sort of 'DIY package system' - not really very practical or easy in
> reality).

A type of DIY package system could be to output the results of 'find
/' to a file before and after a 'make install' and to the diff the two
files. (Using '-prune' with find as appropriate.) This is not as
convenient as your favourite package tool though. :-)

Mark Hill
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk