[Gllug] How to uninstall?

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Sun Jul 25 16:59:22 UTC 2004

On Sun 25 Jul Sharon Kimble wrote:
> I've downloaded several programs to evaluate off the net, compiled and
> installed, used them and then decided that I don't like them. Now I want
> to get rid of them, i.e. uninstall them, but how please?

For future reference, it's quite a good idea when installing new
packages to first build them to install in their own root, so that if
you want to get rid of them easily you can.

Once you know you've built it right and want to keep it, you can then
build it to install under /usr/local as normal.  For large or complex
packages, this can really help, especially when you are targeting a
production environment.  (Of course, you could always save yourself the
grief and use Debian :)

For GNU autoconf source packages (using a configure script) you can do
this with:

    ./configure --prefix=wherever

Personally I use:

    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/<package>-<version>

Then to get rid of the program, you can just rm -rf that directory.

Cheers,

Doug.

--
  http://adju.st/   | "If you want to know about governments,
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD |  all you have to know is two words:
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk