[Gllug] IE flaws

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Tue Jul 13 17:34:18 UTC 2004

Hi

I just sent the following email to most of our clients, whilst I hate
to start a chain letter, you might consider doing similar.  One less
IE user today is one less DDoS zombie attacking your network tommorow.

------- SNIP -------
Hi

If you're reading this email then the chances are you probably use the
Internet frequently.  Moreover the chances are you're doing so on a
Windows-based computer and using Internet Explorer as your web
browser.

Today four more serious security flaws have been announced in Internet
Explorer that could allow a malicious website to take over your
computer and use it for its own ends.

You've most likely heard this before.

These four flaws add to a vast collection of major security problems
with IE - I suggest you stop using it.

Firefox is an open source browser that makes IE look like the clunky
heap of crap it is. It's free (as in speech and as in beer) and you
can download it from here:

Features include tabbed browsing (one window, multiple websites) and
popup blocking (never see an annoying popup advert again!).  By not
using IE your web browsing experience will be better, and you won't be
risking your personal and private data every time you use the web.

For those of a technical mind, the details of the 4 flaws can be found
here: http://secunia.com/advisories/12048/

Regards

--
Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd