[Gllug] wireless print server

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Thu Jul 15 17:01:37 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Huw Lynes wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:52:14 +0100
>Jack Bertram <jack at jbertram.net> wrote:
>

>> I should probably have mentioned that the people wanting to print have
>> standard laptops with inbuilt wireless/Bluetooth. They will be using the
>> room as a temporary office (with several people in there, although not
>> the same people from day to day) so what I'm really trying to do is to
>> stop all the time-wasting with unplugging laptops from power/dial-up,
>> walking to printer, waiting for colleague, plugging in, printing,
>> walking back.  Layout of room makes permanent network impractical.
>>
>> I'll pursue the Draytek Vigor option and see if that's going to fly.
>
>The wireless draytek's are in our experience a bit flaky. We've had a
>surprisingly large proportion of ours give up the ghost for no apparent
>reason.  They are very nice if they don't die on you though.

SCAN have wired print servers for £46.50 ex VAT[1]. Combined with the
cheap as chips 802.11b AP [2] and a cross-over cable, you have a wireless
print server.

Dabs also do a cheaper print server for £21.28, combine with AP trick will
give similar solution in price to SCAN. They also have dedicated wireless
servers, but not in stock and long lead times, unless you want USB
version.

Christian

[1] http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=2098
[2] http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=44513