[Gllug] ADSL modem -- WTF?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 11:05:12 UTC 2004

On Tue 20 Jul, neil chambers wrote:

> I've had this pain recently. However, I've been looking at
> http://www.sveasoft.com/ who provide an alternate firmware for the
> WRT54G & WRT54GS linksys ADSL routers. The multitude of features that
> have been added to the stock firmware include, apparently, an option to
> disable wireless. The latest firmware is available under support only
> which is $20 per year. I've loaded a public release which doesn't offer
> the option of disabling the wireless, but there are other excellent
> add-ons such as pptp,ipsec,OPENVpn Server & Clients, tftfp server,
> enhanced dhcpd, bandwidth management, OSPF...loads of goodies.
>
> But it is still only a router and does require an additional modem to
> handle the ADSL ATM link.

   My local distributor in North Acton has both the Netlink DG834 and DG834G
in stock, that is both with and without the wireless card. It seems that the
wireless card if fitted can be switched off but the non-wireless version can
not be upgraded to the wireless version. The wireless version was quoted at
about 85.00, the non-wireless version about 30.00 less, both + vat.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk