[Gllug] ADSL modem -- WTF?

neil chambers neil at cozyspace.net
Tue Jul 20 10:09:27 UTC 2004

                             From:
Chris Bell
<chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk>
<snip>

> > Incidentally, has anyone else noticed how hard it is to buy a
> > non-wireless ADSL router these days?
<snip>

I've had this pain recently. However, I've been looking at
http://www.sveasoft.com/ who provide an alternate firmware for the
WRT54G & WRT54GS linksys ADSL routers. The multitude of features that
have been added to the stock firmware include, apparently, an option to
disable wireless. The latest firmware is available under support only
which is $20 per year. I've loaded a public release which doesn't offer
the option of disabling the wireless, but there are other excellent
add-ons such as pptp,ipsec,OPENVpn Server & Clients, tftfp server,
enhanced dhcpd, bandwidth management, OSPF...loads of goodies.

But it is still only a router and does require an additional modem to
handle the ADSL ATM link.

All the best,
neil
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk