[Gllug] Introduction (not really relevant to anything, just saying hello)

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Tue Jul 6 16:58:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Pete Ryland wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 07:22:25PM +0100, Christian Smith wrote:
>> Averyone should avoid ClearCase like the plague, and not just 'cos it's
>> expensive. Dynamic views sound really good on paper, but in practice,
>> well, it's not a big win, especially when you require filesystem drivers
>> to implement it.
>
>I just can't agree with that.  From a developer and change manager's point
>of view, I've found ClearCase to be one of the best products I've ever used.
>It's been four or five years since I last used it, so I'm not sure how
>stable it is now, but our sysadmins used to whinge about it a lot back then.

I have sort of a love/hate relationship with it. I generally like the
command line tools, will hopefully soon be getting to grips with UCM, but
hate with a vengance the dynamic views. It's this sort of featuritus that
encourages people to model their environment on the features available,
rather than using the features provided in their existing environment.

And dynamic views are sssslllllooooowwwww. Think NFS with extra overhead:(

>On the other hand, all other Rational products I've used have been complete
>crap, thus proving that while the RUP sounds good in theory, it doesn't make
>good, quality software any easier to produce.  Note that ClearCase was
>bought out by Rational and not initially developed by them.

Quantify is a pretty good profiler, and Purify is an absolute god send.
For those who've never used it, Purify is memory error (bounds checker,
leak detector etc.) debug tool that is absolutely the bees knees. Saved my
ass on many occasions. Shame it's only available on a selected number of
platforms.

>Pete

Christian

--