[Gllug] Introduction (not really relevant to anything, just saying hello)

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 08:17:19 UTC 2004

> I have sort of a love/hate relationship with it. I generally like the
> command line tools, will hopefully soon be getting to grips with UCM, but
> hate with a vengance the dynamic views. It's this sort of featuritus that
> encourages people to model their environment on the features available,
> rather than using the features provided in their existing environment.
>
> And dynamic views are sssslllllooooowwwww. Think NFS with extra overhead:(

I last administered CC in around 2000/2001. To me the most impressive
thing (aside from dynamic views) was clearmake's ability to "wink" in
binaries that have been compiled in someone else's view (i think winking
is the correct term... I'm getting a bit rusty now).

I agree with the earlier comment about CC being only good on Solaris,
this was the indirect impression I had from Rational's tech support...
we were using it on Tru64 and found a rather serious bug - it only took
Rational 2 years to acknowledge and (i believe eventually) fix it!.

Yes, we had users complaining about performance as well, even when we
had high end servers, not all that many users (max of 25 licenses?) and
seperate view and vob servers.

David.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk