Too late (was: Re: [Gllug] Free stuff)

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Jul 9 08:45:08 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, FORSTER, David wrote:

> I too am looking forward to trying SUSE 9.1, I've heard good things about it
> but I've seen mixed reviews compared to Mandrakelinux 10, which I'm
> currently running (some bad points for each distro). With regards to the
> distribution of SUSE, I've noticed that www.uselinux.co.uk have created a
> bootable DVD which contains the FTP download edition of SUSE for £4, would
> this version be freely distributable? As I understand it the FTP version is
> totally GPL'd?

My udnerstanding is that now that YaST has been released under GPL it
should be OK however I have heard others claiming that some of the
libraries included may be subject to a restrictive license.

Certainly if it is available via FTP mirrors it should be distributable
however I'd urge caution before selling CDs - make sure you check that you
are not distributing something that is free only via online distribution.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £22.50 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk