Too late (was: Re: [Gllug] Free stuff)

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Jul 9 15:26:22 UTC 2004

On Friday 09 Jul 2004 09:45 am, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, FORSTER, David wrote:
> > I too am looking forward to trying SUSE 9.1, I've heard good things
> > about it but I've seen mixed reviews compared to Mandrakelinux 10,
> > which I'm currently running (some bad points for each distro). With
> > regards to the distribution of SUSE, I've noticed that
> > www.uselinux.co.uk have created a bootable DVD which contains the
> > FTP download edition of SUSE for £4, would this version be freely
> > distributable? As I understand it the FTP version is totally GPL'd?
>
> My udnerstanding is that now that YaST has been released under GPL it
> should be OK however I have heard others claiming that some of the
> libraries included may be subject to a restrictive license.

There are some packages (Java for example) which have non-redistribution
licences - these are not present on the ftp servers, and I expect they
have been removed from the ISO as well. SFAIUI the ISO is literally a
basic install - CD1 of 5.

> Certainly if it is available via FTP mirrors it should be
> distributable however I'd urge caution before selling CDs - make sure
> you check that you are not distributing something that is free only
> via online distribution.

SuSE's line is that resale is in breech of the license unless you have a
reseller's agreement with them.

Dylan

--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"