[Gllug] IE flaws

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Wed Jul 14 13:57:11 UTC 2004

John Hearns wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 18:34, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>

>>Today four more serious security flaws have been announced in Internet
>>Explorer that could allow a malicious website to take over your
>>computer and use it for its own ends.
>>

>If we leave discussions about the quality of IE to one side,
>I think there should be some discussion of a 'monoculture'.
>
>I remember it being the same way early in Windows - you had a choice
>of databases and word processors.

Diversity is always a good thing, :-) i find myself flounting debian at
every turn but my most used server happens to be mandrake :-)

>I venture to say that if 99% of the population switched to using Firefox
>on Windows there would be exploits crafted to attack it.
>(I know I'm not being accurate here - I'm playing the devils advocate)

who knows, microsoft may even start making these future firefox flaws
open source, :-) . id be suprised if the same exploits had much of an
effect on linux or macos users tho.

Ian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk