[Gllug] Ceefax/Teletext caching TVs

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Wed Jul 14 12:37:24 UTC 2004

* Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at uklinux.net> [040714 13:14]:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 12:06:26PM +0100, Russell wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:45:31AM +0100, Alistair Mann wrote:
> > > From a recent Viz, the 'Skinternet' is what poor people have instead of the
> > > Internet, that is, Ceefax/Teletext.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of a TV set that caches the pages of these services? Or is
> > > software for handling same on a linux machine with a TV card?
> >
> > My grandad had a Sony TV which cached a small number of pages, and I
> > think most TV's at least cache the last page you were on for a while
> > (exit teletext, go back in and enter the page number - usually pops up
> > instantly).
>
> IIRC, TVs with teletext capabilities load a whole block of pages at
> once.  This is why, having gone to the News index page, you can flick
> through the first set of news items quickly.

Not on every television, only on slightly intelligent ones.  My
television loads every page independently and equally slwoly.
Incremental pages are, if anything, even slower than random jumps as you
have to wait for 90 pages to be broadcast (to get back around to where
you were) rather than an average of 50 for a random jump