[Gllug] Puzzled by dpkg-reconfigure on Sarge (configuring X)

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Jul 31 17:08:49 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 17:54, Paul Cupis wrote:
[snip]
> > I invoked dpkg-reconfigure again and it came up with the new settings
> > which I'd entered, so it had obviously saved them *somewhere* - just
> > not in the right place.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Have you read /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/NEWS.Debian.gz
> or /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz?

I have now.  Ouch!  That's a nasty new "feature".  I can see it is well
intentioned, but I'm not so sure it's been thought through properly.

If a user invokes a tool explicitly for the purpose of modifying a
configuration file, the tool shouldn't then silently decide that it
isn't going to do the modification after all.  At the very least it
should issue an error message saying, "Requested modifications not
applied", or even better just a warning and a request for confirmation.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk