[Gllug] X terminal or diskless workstation - views?

Jack Richards jack at gnu-solutions.com
Mon Jul 26 15:21:57 UTC 2004

Sound is fine, as long as you have the supporting libraries available and use
something like ALSA. You must also have the device node on the client, and the
device drivers

Quoting John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk>:

> Having got my little Mini-ITX box booting over the LAN I'm torn between
> two different ways of configuring it - X terminal (logging in to the
> server) or diskless workstation.  Anyone any views on pros and cons of
> the two approaches?
>
> Can one have sound on an X terminal (driven by apps running on the X
> client machine)?
>
> TIA,
> John
>
> --

Jack Richards

GNU Solutions Ltd
Atlantic House
Imperial Way
Reading
Berks.
RG2 0TD

web   : www.gnu-solutions.com
email : jack at gnu-solutions.com
Office: +44 (0)870  250 9219
DDI   : +44 (0)1462 634 410
Mobile: +44 (0)7788 437 904
Fax   : +44 (0)871  277 1937

*

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR
ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS
PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please accept our apology.
We should be obliged if you would email them by return.

Thank you.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk