[Gllug] ADSL modem -- WTF?

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Thu Jul 15 13:53:17 UTC 2004

Thus spaketh Tethys on Thursday 15 Jul 2004 13:35:

> Incidentally, has anyone else noticed how hard it is to buy a
> non-wireless ADSL router these days?

A good portion of my work is installing home area networks. Wireless can be
installed for a significant discount, approaching 50% in some cases --
including labour -- over CAT5 installs. The discount for businesses in
somewhat less, but still compelling.

Non-wireless has its justifications (physical security, speed etc), but it is
increasingly a niche market. Fewer want it, fewer sell it.

As an aside, when I was younger I wondered whether the comic 2000AD would
change its name. Now I'm older I wonder, I wonder when "Wired" magazine will
change its similarly anachronistic title.
--
Alistair
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk