[Gllug] ADSL modem -- WTF?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 15 14:10:59 UTC 2004

On Thu 15 Jul, neilcuk at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/15/2004 9:36:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Chris Bell <chrisbell at o
> verview.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> <snip>
> > I would recommend the BT-style replacement front panel for the BT master box,
> >available from Solwise Ltd.
> >
> >http://www.solwise.co.uk
>
> As would I. But a word of caution - don't try replacing the master box without the rig
> ht tools. I have no idea what it's called, but there is a device that makes sure the w
> ires sit into the terminals correctly - it sort of snaps them into place. I tried repl
> acing mine with naught but a screwdriver and was without a connection for a while :-(
>
> neil

   It is a replacement half front panel, to replace the easily removable
half front already fitted. You will discover that there is a standard BT
socket inside the box that the front connects to, and that remains in place.
   It is designed like that so that there is no need to touch the BT wires
behind, and the front can be removed together with any extension cables, for
testing just the incoming line. Both the original and replacement fronts
have integral insulation displacement terminals for internal phone
extensions, available for customer use.
   The replacement front is cleverly designed so that the existing
termination inside the original box is by-passed by a very efficient four
stage balanced filter unit and correct termination.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk