[Gllug] GPL

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Jul 21 14:34:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 02:42:53PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> "Leigh Mason" writes:
>
> >Having read the GNU GPL I'm a little unclear as who retains the
> >intellectual property rights of a particular work?
>
> I used to think that RMS was an extreme idealist, unable to be
> pragmatic about what he does. But over time, I find myself agreeing
> more and more with his stance[1], and this is one particular example.

Pragmatism has to be based on sound ideals, or it's just shiftless
expediency.  RMS is the idealist who allows the rest of us to be
pragmatic.  This is especially important in legal matters, where
compromise can become legal precedent.

Linus Torvalds is an arch-pragmatist but he can be like that about his
work precisely because of the protection given by the work of the FSF
etc.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"