[Gllug] EUCD: It begins, mod chips illegal

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 19:46:22 UTC 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:37:02 +0100, Mike Brodbelt
<mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 20:28, Dylan wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 Jul 2004 20:07 pm, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>
> > > The *only* difference I can see between Xbox modchips and PS2
> > > modchips is that you can run Linux on the Xbox, which doesn't involve
> > > use of copyrighted material in an unsanctioned way.
> >
> > Er, you can run Linux on a PS2 sanctioned by Sony...
>
> Which doesn't require a modchip, so is a moot point, I think.

Running Linux on an Xbox doesn't require any hardware modification.
Installing Linux on the hard drive and booting into it does require
modification, but it's *not* the same modification as is required for
running imported or copied games.

I have an Xbox which boots into Linux and is incapable of running Xbox
games - copied, imported or original.  I know it's a fine distinction,
but it's a very real one.

> Mike.

Cheers
Richard