[Gllug] wireless print server

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Thu Jul 15 08:52:14 UTC 2004

* John Hearns <john.hearns at clustervision.com> [040715 09:42]:
> On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 09:15, Jack Bertram wrote:
>

> > Any ideas?
> >
> Many printers have IR ports. Most laptops have IR.
> Don;t know about print server boxes - just Google for IR print servers.
> Reading your post, people come into the same room to do the
> printing.
> Are these links reliable in practice?
>

> Or think about Bluetooth?
>
> the IR option is the cheapest and simplest - no need for wifi or
> Bluetooth cards, loading the drivers for them, configuring them.

Good thoughts.  Thinking about it, though, IR requires people to go to the
printer, so no advantages over just getting people to plug their laptop
into the parallel port of the printer.

I should probably have mentioned that the people wanting to print have
standard laptops with inbuilt wireless/Bluetooth. They will be using the
room as a temporary office (with several people in there, although not
the same people from day to day) so what I'm really trying to do is to
stop all the time-wasting with unplugging laptops from power/dial-up,
walking to printer, waiting for colleague, plugging in, printing,
walking back.  Layout of room makes permanent network impractical.

I'll pursue the Draytek Vigor option and see if that's going to fly.

cheers,