[Gllug] belated comment on XML

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 17:58:03 UTC 2004

Having been forced to extract data from an XML shipping-manifest and thus
figure out some of XML's complexities, I can't help feeling that the language
suffers from being designed by committee.  What, on the surface seems an
elegant concept, has so many extra complex rules thrown in, that it makes it
on par with EDI to get to grips with.  My first reaction was to regard it is
as computerised verbal diarrhoea  - the actual content of a message often being
somewhat less in size than the tags that surround it.  As for being able to
simply 'write' XML - what about the special characters that have to be replaced
by 'entities' ?

Tim

This E-Mail and any files transmitted  with it, are confidential
whom they are addressed. If you have received this message
in error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk