[Gllug] Getting Linux to work with Freeserve (Wanadoo) Broadband

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Jul 6 12:42:17 UTC 2004

Bruce Richardson writes:

>That's all you need to know for most XML work.  It really is not hard.

Yes, it is. If I, as a lifelong geek, can't remember the mystic runes
that XML requires at the top of each document, then what hope has the
general public got? With other documentation systems, you can at least
just sit down at start writing, without worrying about your document
being rejected as invalid.

>Do we have to start listing all the advantages of XML, here?  Have
>people really not got the point on this one?

Yes, apparently you do. As far as I can see, XML has few advantages,
and many downsides. For low bandwidth data interchange between
automated systems, then yes, XML probably has its place. For anything
manually written (or read, for that matter) by a human, it's just a
nightmare.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk